Book terminology end paper

DING A small bump or dent leaving an impression, sometimes caused by careless handling or storage. While originally intended for protection and sometimes originally made from cloththese have become an important part of modern books, often including information about a book not found elsewhere and original art work designed specifically for the particular book. EDITION All of the copies of a book printed from the same setting of type, at one time or over a period of time, with no major changes, additions or revisions.

Book terminology end paper

Additional pressure applied through the impression cylinder assisting the image transfer to the press sheet. Backbone The back of a bound book; also called the spine. Backing Up Printing the reverse side of a sheet already printed on one side. Tortilla and Mesa White.

Rolls are normally checked for baggy areas by striking with a baton and listening for variations in audible pitch. Band 1 A strip of paper, printed or unprinted, that Book terminology end paper around loose sheets in lieu of binding with a cover or assembled pieces.

Barium Sulfate Substance used as a standard for white, in lieu of the availability of a practical percent reflecting diffuser. Baronial Envelope An envelope generally used with announcements. Base Color A first color used as a background on which other colors are printed.

Base Stock Manufactured paper that will be further processed as laminated, Duplex Cover, Bristol Cover, or off machine embossed papers.

Baseline In typesetting, the invisible line on which letters and numbers set. Basic Size The standard sheet size of a given grade. Basis Weight The weight in pounds per ream of paper cut to its basic size in inches. A metric system is used outside of North America.

Beater Blendertype machine used to pulverize pulp and for mixing additives and color to the stock. Beater Sized Process of adding sizing material to the pulp in the beater.

Bindery A process of perforating, folding, trimming and eventually binding a printed piece. Binding 1 Attaching sheets into a single unit by adhesives, sewing, stitching, metal prongs, snaps, etc.

The operations that comprise collating, perforating, and folding the elements of a form into the finished product. Binding Edge The edge where the binding will be done. Black Printer In fourcolor process printing, the black plate made to give definition to neutral tones and detail.

Blanket In offset lithography, the rubbercoated fabric clamped around the blanket cylinder, which transfers the image from plate to paper. Blanket Contamination Unwanted matter that becomes attached to the offset blanket and interferes with print quality.

Blanket Ceep Movement of the blanket surface that comes in contact with the printing plate or paper. Blanket Cylinder The printing press cylinder on which the blanket is mounted.

Blanket Pull The tack between blanket and paper. Bleach Chemical, usually chlorine, used to whiten pulp. Bleaching Chemical treatment to brighten, whiten, purify, refine, and balance pulp fiber. Bleed 1 In printing, printed image that runs off the edges of a page.

Blind Embossing A printing technique in which a basrelief design is pushed forward without foil or ink. Blocking The shearshim of piled printed sheets caused by wet ink.

Blocking Out Eliminating portions of negatives by opaquing the image. Blowup Enlargement from the original size.The endpapers or end-papers of a book (also known as endsheets) are the pages that consist of a double-size sheet folded, with one half pasted against an inside cover (the pastedown), and the other serving as the first free page (the free endpaper or flyleaf).

Book terminology end paper

The double leaves bound into a book at the front and rear after printing. These pages consist of a double-size sheet that is folded, one half is pasted against the inside cover and the other is serving as the first free page in the book.

A paper finish, usually used in book and cover papers, that has a tactile surface.

Endpaper - Wikipedia

Usually used in natural white or creamwhite colors. Apron. Extra space at the binding edge of a foldout, usually on a French fold, which allows folding . a book, or other printed piece, with a handwritten and signed statement usually written for a specific named person(s) and often located on the end paper or title page; when "inscribed" is used to des.

A piece of paper either laid in to the book correcting errors found in the printed text after being printed and intended corrections to book content.

Erratas are commonly placed in the book after the first publishing and later corrected in future editions. Paper product terms, paper production glossary, paper technology, paper definitions from Glatfelter global provider of quality paper products, engineered paper .

IOBA | Book Terminology | Independent Online Booksellers Association